I have to say, I am much more of a peanut butter and chocolate kind of girl but my husband just loves fruity desserts and seeing as it was his birthday I guess it was only appropriate that I bake something he wanted. 🙂 And this recipe by Cooking Classy, once adapted for 2, hit the spot!
If you’re more of a visual learner – check out the video below. Be prepared for a cringeworthy number of “so’s” and calling inanimate objects “guys.” Gotta start somewhere right? If you want to skip the video and get right to baking – ingredients list and directions are below video. Enjoy and hit me up in the comments section if you have any questions!
- 3/4 cup cake flour (watch video to see how to make your own cake flour)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 7 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2 6-inch round baking pans and line with a round of parchment paper.
- Sift cake flour into a mixing bowl. Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Toss blueberries with 1 tbsp of the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Fit electric mixer with paddle attachment. Whip together butter, granulated sugar and lemon zest until mixture is pale and fluffy.
- In a 1 cup liquid measuring cup, combine milk, sour cream and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Mix eggs into butter mixture one at a time, stir in lemon and vanilla extract.
- Slowly, working in batches, add 1/3 of flour mixture into butter mixture, add 1/2 of milk mixture, back to 1/3 flour mixture, remaining milk mixture and finally remaining flour mixture until fully blended.
- Softly stir in blueberries, careful not to burst or over stir.
- Fill baking pans halfway and place on middle rack of oven for 30-40 mins.
- Once a toothpick is inserted to middle of each cake and comes out clean, remove from oven and let cool in baking pans for 30 mins.
- Turn over on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting: with an electric mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese, add in vanilla and lemon extract. Slowly add in powdered sugar until completely mixed. Store in fridge until ready to ice cake. Pssst – watch the end of the video to see a trick on the best way to ice!
2 thoughts on “Lemon Blueberry Cake for Two”
Beautiful blog Melissa! I am excited to try baking this during summer break.
Thank you so much! Let me know how the Lemon Blueberry Cake turns out. I gave some to our neighbors for their little girl’s birthday and she loved it so I’m sure your girls will too!