Alright guys, the long-awaited recipes from our oh-so-yummy tropical pool party! With the tropical theme I knew I wanted kabobs and then wanted to compliment with a pool party must – burgers! These Aloha burgers are TO DIE FOR. Seriously, I’ve already made a second batch to freeze so we can pull them out when we get a hankering. And instead of fries I went for our favorites: sweet potato stackers & parmesan roasted cauliflower. Come on yall – it’s summer time so get to grilling!
aloha BBQ burgers
I did my best to convince the hubs to do sliders but he is very convincing and therefore I adapted this slider recipe by Tidy Mom to be a “small” burger. I say “small” because they weren’t the typical huge burgers given that the Hawaiian buns I decided on weren’t the massive size (so in a way I won). We actually tried this recipe the weekend prior to make sure we were sold and as I was making it (BBQ marinated pineapple???) I knew we would love it and boy howdy was I right. If there’s ONE thing you make for your pool party, let this be it.
- 3 lbs ground chuck (80% lean)
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar barbecue sauce *divided in half (2/3) – half will marinate the pineapple slices, half will be added to meat*
- 6 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp steak seasoning
- 16-18 Hawaiian hamburger buns
- Swiss cheese
- 2 8oz cans pineapple slices
- 4 tbsp pineapple juice (use from the slices above)
- Grill bacon and set aside…while grilling work on steps 2 & 3!
- Over a medium bowl, carefully drain pineapple juice while measuring to about 4 tbsp. You’ll then combine 2/3 cups of the barbecue sauce and stir until mostly combined. Now, add in the pineapple slices to marinate in this mixture and set aside (YUM). You’ll grill these along with the burgers.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 2/3 cup barbecue sauce with the beef, breadcrumbs & steak seasoning. Shape into desired size patties (I ended up with about 16 but it will be about 16-18 patties. You can freeze these here or keep going!
- On a preheated medium heat grill, grill patties for about 5-6 mins on each side until cooked through (160F). Set aside to rest while toasting the buns and grilling pineapple slices (1-2 mins each side).
- Time to assemble! On the bottom half of roll, place the patty, add the swiss, pineapple slice, lettuce, bacon slice (I folded mine) & top with a little bit of the barbecue sauce as desired.
–Original recipe by Tidy Mom–
spicy Pineapple chicken kabobs
I know this seems like it has a lot of steps but it’s really easy and something you can prep the night before. I actually marinated the chicken over night and kept sniffing the bag 🙂 This had just the perfect amount of kick to it. Quick note before cooking – remember that wooden kabobs need to be soaked for at least 30 mins before skewering.
- 1 pound package of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 bag of mini orange, red and yellow peppers
- 1 onion
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks, pineapple juice reserved
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Start by draining the juice from a 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks into a glass bowl. The pineapple juice will be used for both the marinade and the grilling sauce.
- Mix together ¼ cup of the pineapple juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic powder and olive oil.
- Cut chicken into small chunks. Place all of the pieces in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
- In a small saucepan, mix together ½ cup of pineapple juice, honey, sriracha sauce, olive oil and soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 4-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut red, orange and yellow peppers into chunks. Slice an onion into chunks. Grab the drained pineapple chunks and the marinated chicken. Thread the ingredients onto kabobs, alternating items.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Brush the pineapple grilling sauce over the kabobs. Lightly oil the grill grates and then place the kabobs on the grill. Cook over medium-high heat, turning and brushing with pineapple grilling sauce often, for 12-15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked.
–Original recipe by The Gunny Sack–
grilled jerk shrimp & vegetable kabobs
The shrimp kabobs were a party favorite as well and oh-so-easy! And the veggie ones…well…aren’t those always a standard? But the marinade on these was killer and I even made an additional batch the next day for lunch. YUMMY!
Jerk Shrimp Ingredients:
- 1 pound (20-25 or 16-20) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup jerk marinade
- 2 slices pineapple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Jerk Shrimp Directions:
- Marinate shrimp in jerk marinade overnight (that’s the best way but you can do as little as an hour)
- Skewer kabobs alternating shrimp to pineapple
- Over medium high grill heat, cook about 2-3 mints on each side
Veggie Kabob Ingredients:
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 1 zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- 1 yellow zucchini, sliced into thick rounds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Veggie Kabob Directions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, oregano and basil; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Thread mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and zucchini onto skewers. Place skewers onto a baking sheet. Brush olive oil mixture onto the skewers and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Place into oven and roast until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
sweet potato stackers
I quite literally had two people ask me for this recipe in their “thank you for having us” text messages…I mean honestly, isn’t that like the best compliment ever? They can’t thank you without asking for recipes? Hostess score! I feel like the modern day mom – sending pins of recipes versus breaking out the copy machine. But seriously, these are the perfect compliment to the Aloha BBQ Burgers. The sweet buttery goodness is just mouth watering.
- 2 tablespoons organic butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5-6 large sweet potatoes or yams, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together butter, coconut oil, parmesan, chopped rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Add sweet potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Layer potatoes slices into muffin pan and fill to the top. They will shrink down once they are cooking.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes and edges and tops are golden brown and center in tender.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes and carefully remove with a spoon. Place on serving tray and top with extra parmesan cheese and fresh chopped fresh rosemary. Serve immediately.
–Original recipe by Kim’s Healthy Eats–
parmesan roasted cauliflower
This is quite literally the only way my husband eats cauliflower anymore. Pretty sure we turned his parents onto this too 🙂 This along with the sweet potato stackers were the perfect substitute for the typical “party chips.” I just cant bring myself to set a bowl of chips out on the party food table unless there’s some sort of dip or chili.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets about 1 1/2 inches each
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 4 thyme sprigs
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss florets on a large rimmed baking sheet with the olive oil, garlic & thyme until coated; season with salt and pepper..
- Roast 20 mins, tossing once until almost tender.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and toss to combine; roast additional 20 mins.
–Original recipe by Very Culinary–
For more details on the inspiration and creations from our tropical pool party, check out my Pinterest board made special for the event!