White chocolate? Chocolate and strawberries? But some people are a salty sweet kind of person. How does one choose what to make for a birthday party? My answer is don’t! When it comes to sweets – make it all!! There’s only a few times a year you get to go totally crazy with your baking creations. Now if that’s just ridiculous, cool – choose whichever of these creations tickles your fancy – you can’t go wrong.
Vanilla Cake with Buttercream Icing
Ok, this is kind of a must right? Maybe it’s selfish but vanilla cake and white icing is my favorite so that’s what I decided to do for baby girl’s first birthday cake too. I actually adapted a salted caramel cake recipe because I wanted this to be super moist and boy was it! I even had plenty of batter for 24 mini cupcakes as well.
Ingredients for cake
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp veggie oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz sour cream
directions FOR CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prep two Pyrex 1 qt bowls (or small cake tins) by greasing and powdering. Prep mini cupcake tin with cupcake holders.
- In your large mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese, sugar, brown sugar and oil until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add your eggs making sure each is mixed in completely before adding the next. Remember to scrape your sides every now and then!
- Add vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until completely combined.
- Have your flour and sour cream handy. Beginning with flour, add 1 cup into mixture, mix well, add in a third of your sour cream, mix again and continue this pattern until completely mixed in – ending with flour.
- Carefully fill cake tins/Pyrex bowls until about 1/2 full.
- Bake cake halves for about 30-40 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove and let cool on wire rack.
- While cake is baking, evenly distribute remaining cake mix into 24 mini cupcake tin.
- Bake mini cupcakes for 15-20 mins until just browned. Let cool on mini cupcake tin.
- Once cake halves are cooled, remove from tins & carefully cut curved tops until flat. Once icing is made, layer a small layer of icing between the two halves before decorating.
INGREDIENTS FOR Icing
- 5 tbsp salted butter, softened
- 5 tbsp shortening
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
directions FOR ICING
- In a small bowl, beat together butter & shortening using a hand mixer. You should beat for quite a while – about 1-2 mins.
- Add vanilla to mixture until just combined.
- 1/2 cup at a time, add powdered sugar until completely blended.
- 1 tbsp at a time, add in milk until light and fluffy.
*I made two batches of the above icing for my cake & mini cupcakes. To one batch I added two drops of red food coloring to create the pink hue on smash cake*
cake batter rice krispies treats
Not only were these SUPER yummy but they were SO DARN CUTE! I got the idea to make them into popsicles from another blog post but found this amazing recipe for the cake batter take on Rice Krispies treats from Mother Thyme. They were so good and easy to make that I decided to make these into my party gifts – so fun!
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 tbsp rainbow sprinkles
- white chocolate to drizzle or cover
- In a large saucepan melt butter and marshmallows over medium heat, continue to stir!
- Stir in cake mix & vanilla until just combined
- Reduce heat to low & stir in Rice Krispies and 1 tbsp sprinkles – mix well!
- Add in remaining Rice Krispies and stir until combined.
- Working with wax paper and clean hands, form Rice Krispies mix into desired shape (I did rectangles).
- While still warm, place one hand on top and insert popsicle tick into one end.
- Carefully stand up and smoosh standing end onto wax paper until it can stand on its own. Once stable, lay down to dry.
- Once completely dry & cool, drizzle or cover with desired chocolate
-Original recipe from Mother Thyme–
Angel food cake & strawberry skewers
In an effort to add some fruit to the menu for those health nuts 😉 I came up with the idea to combine them with angel food cake and chocolate. Simply make the angel food cake from the box, cut into pieces and skewer with fresh strawberries. Drizzle with melted chocolate and you have successfully made fruit unhealthy 🙂
white chocolate covered strawberry wafers
Remember wafers!? I don’t know about you but I hadn’t had one of these since grade school. In my search for pink things I came across these yummy strawberry wafers. Dipped them in white chocolate and covered them with sprinkles. They were not only one of the most popular treats at the party but so cute on the dessert table.